Harmful Algae Possible and May be Present
Blue-Green Algae May be Harmful to Humans & Animals
- Swimming, wading, and jet skiing are discouraged near visible blooms.
- Keep pets and livestock away from water.
- Use caution when contacting lake water and wash with clean water afterward
- Avoid areas of algae accumulation
- Do not let people or pets eat dried algae or drink untreated water
- Clean fish well and discard guts
In case of contact with harmful algae: Call a doctor or veterinarian if people or animals have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, irritated eyes, seizures, breathing problems or other unexplained illness.
For more information: visit kdhe.ks.gov/HAB
Report harmful algal blooms to: Kansas Department of Health and Environment at: kdhe.ks.gov/HAB/ or call: 855-422-5253
Report possible algal bloom related illness to: Kansas Department of Health and Environment at: kdhe.ks.gov/HAB or call: 877-427-7317
Posted by: A. Rupp
Posted on: 09/25/23